|Home||News||Contact Us||Pictures||Calendar||Links||Missions||Bible Search|
God's Revealed Will - The Holy Bible
Godís Revealed Will Ė The Holy Bible
New Testament Christians have a common allegiance to a book - the Bible. Let's look at some principles concerning God's revealed will, the Bible.
I. GOD HAS SPOKEN.
A. The whole Bible is based on this truth
1. Genesis 1:1-3 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
B. God has created us and He wants to speak to us.
1. We should want to hear Him.
2. Hebrews 1:1-2: "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds."
II. THE BIBLE IS A REVELATION OF GOD'S WILL.
A. The Bible is not man's effort to reach up to God, but God's effort to reach down to man.
1. ILLUSTRATION: Children don't go to school to teach teachers.
2. Bible is a product of God teaching us what we could not learn by ourselves
B. This is ample proof that the Bible is that record of God to man.
1. Marvelous unity of the Scriptures.
a. 40 writers wrote 66 books over a span of about 1500 years.
2. Its overwhelming miracles.
3. The abundance of irrefutable prophecies.
C. The Bible itself claims to be God's revelation.
1. 2 Peter 1:21- "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
2. Galatians 1:11-12- "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."
3. Ephesians 3:5- "Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;"
4. 1 Corinthians 2:10- "But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."
5. Revelation 1:1- "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:"
III. THE BIBLE IS INERRANT, INFALLIBLE AND INSPIRED.
A. Meaning of these words.
1. Inerrant = free from error.
2. Infallible = incapable of teaching deception.
3. Inspired = God breathed, or breathed out of God.
B. The Bible is verbally inspired.
1. Verbally = every word that is in Bible is there because God willed it.
a. We must trust in the Scriptures completely.
2. 2 Timothy 3:16-17- "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
IV. THE BIBLE IS COMPLETE AND FINAL.
A. The Bible contains all that God wants it to contain
1. Jude 3- "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints."
2. It is perfect
a. James 1:25- "But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed."
b. 2 Peter 1:3- "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:"
3. If we need more, then the Word of God isn't perfect.
B. The Bible is God's complete record for our lives.
1. We cannot outgrow it.
V. THE BIBLE IS INTELLIGIBLE.
A. The Bible is first, last and always a message.
1. God has something to say to man that is important.
2. God through the H.S. has moved men to write His word.
a. Alexander Campbell - "God has spoken by men, to men, for men."
3. God has always wanted men to hear and understand Him (Romans 15:4). 4. Romans 15:4- "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."
VI. THE BIBLE CAN BE UNDERSTOOD BY MAN.
A. Man is a rational being, made in God's image to think and to reason.
B. Understanding the Bible is a duty.
1. When God speaks, we are to listen.
C. God never expects the impossible of man.
1. His word can be understood.
2. 2 Timothy 2:15- "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
3. 1 John 5:3 - "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not grievous."
VII. THE BIBLE RIGHTLY UNDERSTOOD IS AUTHORITATIVE. A. Jesus has all authority in matters of religion.
1. Matthew 28:18
B. Jesus placed that authority in the words He spoke.
1. John 12:48- "He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."
C. The inspired disciples have written Jesus' authoritative word.
1. 1 Corinthians 2:13 - "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."
D. The truth is always there for those who seek it.
1. Matthew 13:14 "And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."
VIII. THE WORD OF GOD IS INDESTRUCTIBLE
A. Listen to the Psalmist.
1. Psalm 119:142 - "Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth."
2. Psalm 119:144 - "The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live."
B. The Word of God will live forever.
1. 1 Peter 1:23 - "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever."
2. Matthew 24:35 - "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away."
CONCLUSION: THE AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE DEMANDS SUBMISSION. WILL YOU SUBMIT TO ITS AUTHORITY?
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!