|Home||News||Contact Us||Pictures||Calendar||Links||Missions||Bible Search|
Blessed AreThe Meek
BLESSED ARE THE MEEK
I. A MISUNDERSTANDING ABOUT MEEKNESS.
A. Many equate meekness with weakness.
1. Many associate meekness with an attitude of allowing everyone to run over you because you are afraid of them.
2. This is not meekness. In fact, some of the strongest men who have ever lived have been meek.
B. Look at a list of some people that the Bible says were meek and see the error of such thought.
1. Moses was a great leader. He stood up to the most powerful leader in the world, Pharaoh Rameses. He led Gods people through the wilderness to the border of the promised land.
a. Numbers 12:3 - "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.
2. Jesus could stand up to the winds and the waves. He also chased the moneychangers out of the temple twice with a whip made of chords.
a. Matthew 11:29 - "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
II. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE MEEK?
A. A good working definition of biblical meekness.
1. Strength under control.
2. Some Bible passages that illustrate this definition.
a. Ephesians 4:1-2 - "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love."
1. Meekness means walking according to the precepts of our vocation and controlling our attitudes toward our brothers and sisters in Christ.
c. Colossians 3:12 - "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;"
1. A look at the context of this chapter shows that we are to bury the old man (submit to God) and forebear and forgive one another.
3. Thus meekness is curbing the "natural" desires to rebel, fight, have our own way, push our selves forward, etc. We submit to the Lord in obedience to His will.
III. THE MEEK "SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
A. Those who are meek (faithful Christians) have an inheritance here in this life.
1. They are truly satisfied. They are content.
2. The wicked, in their rush to possess, usually miss or overlook the best of this world, or else, having seen it, they refuse to pay the price to gain it, or having gained it, they are miserable.
3. Philippians 4:11 - "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
B. The meek will also inherit that new heaven and earth - Heaven.
1. Romans 8:17 - "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.
CONCLUSION: Brother A.W. Tozer once wrote, "The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his own inferiority. Rather he may be in his moral life as bold as a lion and as strong as Samson; but he has stopped being fooled about himself. He has accepted God's estimate of his own life. He knows he is as weak and helpless as God declared him to be, but, he knows at the same time, that he is in the sight of God of more importance than angels. In himself, nothing; in God, everything.
Antioch church of Christ
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!