|Home||News||Contact Us||Pictures||Calendar||Links||Missions||Bible Search|
THE JOY OF WORSHIP
THE JOY OF WORSHIP
PROPOSITION: Worship should be joyful because 1) The Christian has every reason to rejoice, 2) Worship itself is designed to be joyful, 3) I can do something about being more joyful in worship!
Aim: That we would each strive to be more joyful in worshipping God.
1. Read: Psalm 100 - Make a
joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth!
3Know that the LORD, he is God!
his gates with thanksgiving,
5 For the LORD is good;
2. About the Text:
1) Psalm 100 is perhaps the second most well-known Psalm in the Bible.
2) The psalm extols the virtues of worshipping God.
3) To the psalmist, worship was joyful, full of gladness and pregnant with thanksgiving.
4) In Psalm 122:1, David writes, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go unto the house of The Lord."
5) When we come together in God's house today, the church, do we have the same attitude that David had in worshipping God?
6) Can we say that we are glad, joyful, thankful, and really mean it?
7) Or do we see worship as mere drudgery through which we must endure in order to get our "ticket punched?"
8) Let's talk about some reasons why we should have joy in worship.
DISCUSSION: Worship should be joyful because . . .
I. THE CHRISTIAN HAS EVERY REASON TO REJOICE!
1. The Christian should already be joyful even before beginning worship. How much more should he rejoice to be able to worship?
2. Paul exhorts us: "Rejoice in the Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice" ( Phil. 4:4).
3. We rejoice because of Christ: Luke 2:10 "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."
4. We rejoice because of salvation: Luke 10:20 "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven."
5. We rejoice because of persecution: James 1:2 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations."
6. Because the Lord's lovingkindness/steadfast love never ends! Lamentation 3:22-24 "It is of The Lord's lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."
7. Because God is the Lord! Psalm 100:3 "Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."
8. Because we have God's truth! 3 John 1:4 "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."
II. WORSHIP ITSELF IS DESIGNED TO BE JOYFUL.
1. Singing is a joyful activity.
1) There is something inherently joyful in singing. James 5:13 "Is any cheerful? Let him sing praise."
2) Notice the example of Paul and Silas. Acts 16:25 "But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns unto God, and the prisoners were listening to them."
3) God's praise is accomplished with singing. Hebrews 13:15 "Through him then let us offer up a sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of lips which make confession to his name."
2. Studying God's word is a joyful activity.
1) Have you ever seen a hungry man not happy to eat? Jesus said, "Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." ( Matthew 5:6).
2) The man who walks upright delights in studying God's word: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers: But his delight is in the law of The Lord; And on his law doth he meditate day and night." ( Psalm 1:1,2).
3) Jeremiah 15:16 "Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O The Lord, God of hosts."
3. Giving is to be a joyful activity.
1) God loves the cheerful giver: "Let each man do according as he hath purposed in his heart: not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." ( 2 Corinthians 9:7).
2) The cheerful giver recognizes the truthfulness of Jesus words, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." ( Acts 20:35).
4. Praying is to be joyful for the Christian.
1) Does not a child delight in speaking with his father? And the father in hearing the child?
2) Hannah is a good example: "And Hannah prayed, and said: My heart exulteth in The Lord; My horn is exalted in The Lord; My mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; Because I rejoice in thy salvation." ( 1 Samuel 2:1)
3) Mary too! In Luke 1:46, 47 Mary said, "My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."
4) Psalm 68:3 states, "But let the righteous be glad; let them exult before God: Yea, let them rejoice with gladness."
5. Partaking of the Lord's Supper, while solemn, is also joyful.
1) While the Lord's Supper is a solemn remembrance of the death of Jesus, we also rejoice knowing that our own salvation was purchased by Him.
2) Paul writes in Romans 5:10,11 "For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life; and not only so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation."
3) Peter writes regarding Jesus in 1 Peter 1:8 "whom not having seen ye love; on whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice greatly with joy unspeakable and full of glory."
4) Jesus is the one who turns sorrow into Joy! ( John 16:22).
III. I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT BEING JOYFUL IN WORSHIP.
1. I can accompany my physical actions with mental work.
1) 1 Corinthians 14:15 "What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also."
2) Worship is in "spirit and in truth" ( John 4:24).
3) All of our worship should come from our heart.
2. I can be enthusiastic in worship!
1) In loving God we are to give our all, isn't worshipping God part of loving Him? Matthew 22:37 - And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
2) Colossians 3:23 includes worship: "whatsoever ye do, work heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men".
3. I can be dedicated to unity in the body of Christ.
1) Rom. 15:32 "That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed."
2) Phi. 2:2 "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind."
3) The quickest way to kill joy is to cause dissension among the church.
4. I can understand that God is pleased with right worship.
1) Phil. 2:13 "for it is God who works in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure."
2) Hebrews 12:28 "Wherefore, receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us have grace, whereby we may offer service well-pleasing to God with reverence and awe".
3) Hebrews 13:20, 21 "Now the God of peace, who brought again from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an eternal covenant, even our Lord Jesus, make you perfect in every good thing to do his will, working in us that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen."
1. Worship should be joyful because...
1) The Christian has every reason to rejoice!
2) Worship is designed to be joyful!
3) I can do something about being more joyful in worship!
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!