|Home||News||Contact Us||Pictures||Calendar||Links||Missions||Bible Search|
SHALL YOUR BRETHREN GO TO WAR WHILE YOU SIT HERE?
"SHALL YOUR BRETHREN GO TO WAR WHILE YOU SIT HERE?"
1. Prior to
Reuben and Gad wanted to settle in the land east of the
2. Their request and Moses' response are found in Num 32:1-27, and havepractical application to our service in the church today
[Let's begin our study with a review of...]
I. THE HISTORICAL ACCOUNT IN NUMBERS
A. REUBEN AND GAD EXPRESS THEIR DESIRE...
1. They were two tribes with much livestock - Num 32:1a
2. They saw that the
3. So they requested to be given the land as their possession, and not taken over the Jordan river with the rest of
B. MOSES RESPONDS...
1. "Shall your brethren go to war while you sit here?" - Num 32:6
a. Shall they be at ease, while their brethren must fight?
b. Was it not with their brethren's help that the land they desire is now available?
2. How Moses viewed their request...
a. They would discourage their brethren - Num 32:7
b. They would be no different than the ten spies
1) Who discouraged
2) Who aroused God's anger against them - Num 32:10-13
c. They would be a brood of sinful men, and increase God's anger against
d. They would in essence destroy God's people! - Num 32:15
C. AN AGREEMENT IS REACHED...
1. Reuben and Gad offer to send their soldiers to help possess the Promised Land - Num 32:16-19
2. Moses agrees, but with a stern warning - Num 32:20-23
a. The land they desire will be theirs if they carry through
with their offer
b. But if they don't keep their agreement...
1) They will have sinned against the Lord!
2) Be sure their sin will find them out!
[In 1Co 10:11 we are told that what happened to
II. APPLICATION FOR US TODAY
1. A spiritual war, to be sure - 2Co 10:3-5 -
2. A war against Satan, and the spiritual forces of wickedness - Ep 6:10-18 -
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, andthe sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance andsupplication for all the saints—
-- The Lord's army (the church) fights this battle as her members
serve in such areas as evangelism, edification and benevolence
B. MUCH HAS BEEN DONE UP TO THE PRESENT...
1. Many have stood for the truth in the past
2. Making it possible for us today:
a. To know the truth of God and the gospel of Jesus Christ
b. To worship God in spirit and truth
c. To enjoy the blessings of God's family
3. But the war wages on!
a. Every thought must be brought captive to Christ - 2Co 10:5 - casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
b. We must continue to stand strong against the wiles of the devil - Ep 6:11
C. SHALL OUR BRETHREN GO TO WAR WHILE WE SIT HERE?
1. By lettings others do the work of the Lord's army?
2. Shall we just sit, enjoying the efforts of others?
a. The efforts of those who labored in the past?
b. The efforts of those who labor now, making it possible for
us to enjoy the blessings of fellowship and worship?
-- If not actively involved in some phase of the Lord's work,
that is exactly what we are doing!
D. IF WE ARE SITTING, WHAT IS THE EFFECT?
1. We discourage our brethren! - cf. Num 32:7
a. Who often must carry the burden alone
b. Who easily get "burned out" trying to do it all
2. Lack of involvement is just as detrimental as active oposition!
a. The slothful is a brother to him who destroys - Pr 18:9
b. If we do not gather, then we scatter; there is no neutral round! - Mt 12:30 = He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.
-- Like just sitting in a wagon, instead of pulling or pushing, w hinder its progress!
E. WHAT WILL BE THE END RESULT?
1. We will have sinned against the Lord! - cf. Num 32:23a
a. For what one does or doesn't do for the church, it affects Christ.
b. As Paul learned when he persecuted the church - Ac 9:1-5 -
And he said, "Who are You, Lord?”
c. Yes, when we sin against the brethren, we sin against Christ - 1Co 8:12
2. Be sure that our sin will find us out!
a. It will come out in the growth of the congregation
1) Proper growth is possible only if ALL are doing their part- Ep 4:15-16 - but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
2) Growth may occur with inactive members, but the growth will be stunted, retarded, handicapped!
b. It will come out on the Day of Judgment!
1) When we have to answer for our laziness!
2) Remember the parable of The Talents? - cf. Mt 25:24-30
1. When Reuben and Gad realized the effect of sitting while their brethren went to war, they immediately made arrangements to do their part
a. Moses was even patient with them, allowing them time to care for their families - Num 32:24 - Build cities for your little ones and folds for your sheep, and do what has proceeded out of your mouth.”
b. They in turn promised to do their part in going to war - Num 32:25-27
-- Certainly we can be patient in helping our brethren prepare for "war", if need be
2. But may we all determine not to rest until the work is done, by resolving to be...
a. More diligent in the spiritual battle we face!
b. More active in whatever area of service for which we are best suited!
3. Let your brethren know that you desire to serve, and not just sitwhile others work!
Are you in the army of Christ, actively engaged in the service of His kingdom?
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!