|Home||News||Contact Us||Pictures||Calendar||Links||Missions||Bible Search|
Get A Life
Get A Life
Reading: James 4:13-17
Text: 1 John 2:15-17
We're Going To Talk About LIFE Today.
• Someone has said, "IF is the biggest word in LIFE."
1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world— the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions— is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
1. Love the World
Romans 8:6 to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
To Love The Things And The Ways Of The World Is Opposite Of Christian Life!
Colossians 3:1 - If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above.
Colossians 3:2 - Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
Matthew 6:33 - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...
1. Love of the world is selfish; the Love of the Father is Self-LESS
2. Love of the world is Harshness; the Love of the Father is Kindness
3. Love of the world is Terror; the Love of the Father is Peace
2. In The World
The Lust Of The Flesh; The Lust of The Eye & the Pride in Possessions
• 1 John 2:16 (is a pattern found throughout history; compare:)
Genesis 3:6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, (flesh) that it was
pleasant to the eyes, (eyes) and a tree desirable to make one wise, (pride) she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.
Matthew 4:1-10 The 3 temptations: Bread (Flesh), God will protect you, (Pride), and the world is yours! (Eyes)
• Sigmund Freud's basic tenets of id, ego and superego could have their foundation here.
• Every desire is like one of these temptations: We want it because it feels good, it looks good or it makes us look good.
• Every dislike is opposite of these temptations: We don't want it because it feels bad, it looks bad, or it makes us look bad.
3. The World Is Fleeting
Everything Of This World Is Temporary
1 John 2:17 And the world is passing away along with its desires
• Physical life is temporary. Some things live longer than others, but all eventually die.
James 4:14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.
God Said The World Will Certainly Be Destroyed
2 Peter 3:10-11 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,
What about "with it's desires?"
• What style of clothing on earth has lasted? What game? What food?
• Our taste buds change as we grow older, but also our tastes for things or even people.
4. Endure The World
1 John 2:17 but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
So, No Matter How Much The World Changes, We Can Live A Good Life
• When we listen to the word of God, we can have lasting marriages, friendships, relationships
• When we listen to the word of God, we can have lasting hope, peace, and comfort
• When we listen to the word of God, we can have lasting joy and strength and LIFE.
We Have Trials In This World, But Listen:
John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world
you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
1 John 5:4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our faith.
1 Peter 1:23--25 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever."And this word is the good news (gospel) that was preached to you.
• Those, who have not obeyed the gospel, repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins.
• If you have already obeyed, yet have not remained faithful, you can begin again. We can pray with you and for you to help you start over. Come to Jesus!
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!