In recent years this writer has heard numerous times folks either say or write that "We cannot legislate morality." That statement is patently false. Nearly all the laws of our nation are moral judgments and certainly legislate morality. For example, the laws of our nation forbid murder and theft. These are moral judgments. In the Old Testament, the Bible says, "In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes" (Judges 21:25).
This was a time prior to the appointment of kings of Israel. They did have a standard of morality, the Law of Moses. We see the revelation of that beginning from Sinai, in Exodus 20 and forward. The problems we see happening today are a direct result of some trying to eliminate the very principle of God from every nook and corner of our nation! Our Declaration of Independence and Constitution are an affirmation of the existence and direction of God! Our nation was founded upon, like it or not, the principles of the God of the Bible, not the vengeful, vindictive God of Mohammed or any other!
Recently this writer read in a popular survey that 86% of the respondents in our nation believe in God. On the other hand, 14% do not believe there is a God. When we examine the consequences of evolution and humanism, one of the objects of both is to remove God from society, and elevate man as the highest form of life. Evolutionists believe that man is just a highly developed animal. Recently we read a quip from the internet that said that one is insulted if you called him a monkey, but not if you say he descended from a monkey! The problem of the removal of the concept of God, is that when He is removed, then there is really no right or wrong other than what one wants. Many animals either neglect their offspring, and a few will even eat their offspring. If man is only an animal, why is it wrong to kill another human? Many animals kill other animals. What is the difference? 

In describing those who turn away from the concept of God, Paul wrote, "For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: because that, knowing God, they glorified him not as God, neither gave thanks; but became vain in their reasonings, and their senseless heart was darkened" (Romans 1:20-21). 

The facts are: everything about us testifies of the existence of God! The design of the earth, our bodies, and all, implies a Designer! Admiring beautiful art is complimentary to the Artist, and implies the existence of the Artist. What is more beautiful than this beautiful creation of a living, loving God! The fact of the existence of God gives us peace and knowledge that there is a higher order than ourselves. We are not simply required to follow that which is right because it's the law, but because God is the basis of it! Jesus said,"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second like unto it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments the whole law hangeth, and the prophets" (Matthew 22:37-40).
The God of the Bible is the basis of our laws and our subjection to them. 

Edward L. Rodgers, 
Muskogee, OK