TEXT: Lam 3:37
1. The most dangerous phrase uttered in or out of the church: God will understand.2. Different types who utter these (or similar) phrases:
a. Those who have read little / no part of the Bible yet claim to be religious in some way.b. Those who need to mature spiritually (young Christian; one not studied)c. Person or congregation who has read / understands but does not have the respect to regard the scriptures.
3. This statement has and will cost many good people their eternal salvation.4. There are some things God does understand of which to be mindful.
I. GOD UNDERSTANDS WHAT HE HAS COMMANDED.
1. Prophet called to warn Israel of captivity/destruction if they did not repent.2. Jer 1:1-10
1. Prophet carried away during the Babylonian captivity.2. Eze 2:1-7 (see 2Ti 4:2)
C. God continued to give commands and warnings to Israel to follow HIM.
1. We are to follow the commands of God if we are to have any hope.2. Does God care about details?
II. GOD UNDERSTANDS HOW HE COMMANDED TO DO IT.
1. Josh. 6:1-52. Was there any other way they could have taken the city?
B. Ark of the Covenant
1. God told them how it should be built (Exo 25:9ff)2. God told them who was authorized to carry it and how it was to be handled.
a. Num 4:1-4b. Num 4:15
3. Does God owe us an explanation? They did not ask why (Num. 7:3-9).
C. Worship in the NT church.
1. 8 examples in NT concerning worship in song all exclude musical instruments.2. He commands us to sing not play / clap / stomp feet, etc.3. Musical instruments introduced in worship several hundred years after church was established no authority coming from God!!
D. Lords Supper
1. Acts 20:7 first day of the week.2. No other day authorized in the bible.3. Memorial not a celebration.
1. Will God really understand replacing the worship assembly with a sporting event / other recreational activity after telling us not to (Heb. 10:25)?2. Is there a place in scripture where the worship assembly is just an afterthought to our fun?
F. We need to be careful with our assumptions of God.
III. GOD UNDERSTANDS OUR OBEDIENCE TO HIS COMMANDS.
A. Consequences for disobedience.
1. Uzza (1 Chron. 13:5-10) Uzza touched it; not to test God.2. Nadab & Abihu (Lev. 6:12,13; 10:1,2)3. Moses never got to finish leading the Israelites into Land of Canaan because of one act of disobedience.
4. God is serious when it comes to obeying him.
B. Rewards for obedience.
1. Israel finally released from captivity when they repented.2. We are made followers of Christ when we obey (Joh 8:31).3. Eternal life.
C. We need to be consistent with our obedience / allegiance to him.
1. Not using God to rationalize our actions.2. 1Jn 2:3-5
1. Are we able to obey / trust God, not guessing what he may or may not understand?2. We need to sever our ties with our former lusts and establish them with Jesus.3. God understands a broken / damaged life and willing to forgive if we repent4. All we need to understand is that God delivers what he promises.