Lebanon church of Christ
   
History

In 1878 a frame meeting house was erected on the site of the present building. This structure was built on four and one forth acres of land given by Bill Luther. Most likely, faithful Christians had been assembling on the first day of the week prior to that time. A brick building was erected in 1944 with a wing added in 1958. Our present building was completed in 1972. Its auditorium has a seating capacity of four hundred and fifteen, and it contains twenty one classrooms. The fellowship building was added later.

Men who preached on a part time basis in the first two buildings included: H. A. Brown, W. T. Boaz, F. O. Howell, E. C. L. Denton, A. G. Freed, E. C. Morgan, A. O. Colley, Claude Hall, A. L. Wilson, Stanley Jones, John B. Hardeman, Fred Chunn, Adron Doran, L. H. Pogue, Bill Yates, and Bob Brooks.

The minister's home was built in 1952 on land donated by H. M. Holloway. In 1970 an additional two rooms and bath were added. Willie Johnson was the first full time minister for the congregation. Succeeding full time ministers were: Charles Sumrall, Aaron Herren, Vergil Joines, Glann Lee, John Forgy, Gene McKnight, James Long, Gerald Baker, Ken Mears, Bruce Tucker, Gary Hill and the present minister, Chris King.

Former elders of this congregation include: Mose Conner, Jim P. Wilson, Jim Elkins, Marion Moffitt, Edd Golden, Claude Hendley, S. C. Holloway, Jack Boaz, Wade Wilson, Sam Howard, Hollis Sims, R. T. Morris and Rodger Fields. Present elders are: Charlie Jones, Jackie Bruce, Dale Jones and Wayne Wadlington.

The previous deacons were Jerry Hale, Rollie Lawson, R. S. Reaves, James Jones and Bobby Vincent. Present deacons are: Tommy Holloway, Bob Anderson, Randall Miller, Ricky Shupe, Paul Russell, Tim Williams, Denny Foy, Tim Jones, and Aaron Burns.


Direct Page Link
Powered By
TheLordsWay.com
Click here to host your
own church web site today!