Once Saved, Always Saved?
A. Discern Accuracy
1. Implications of teaching
a. Do what you want
b. Can not renounce Jesus
2. Compare to the rest of Scriptures
a.Do they support primary idea?
b. Do they conflict with primary idea?
B. Scriptures connected to the idea
1. John 15:1-6, Branches cut off by God for not bearing fruit
2. Hebrews 6:1-8, Having received all the good of God, then fell away
3. Hebrews 10:26-31, after knowledge, choosing sin over Christ brings judgment
4. Hebrews 2:1-3, don't drift away from teachings
5. Galatians 1:6-9, deserting God by turning to different gospel
6. Revelation 2 and 3, Jesus warns certain churches to repent or be removed
1. Implications of doctrine contrary to sound theology
2. Rest of scripture conflict with premise of "once saved always saved"
3. must discard doctrine, revisit scriptures to form accurate teaching
(GOD, JEWS AND GENTILES)
Covenants have been found recorded as far back as the 18th century BC. They follow a consistent form: 1. PREAMBLE, list of names and titles of parties involved. 2. HISTORY, the story of the previous relationship between the parties. 3. STIPULATIONS, the requirements and conditions for the covenant. 4. DIVINE WITNESS, the calling on a higher power as witness to the agreement. 5. STATEMENT OF BLESSINGS AND CURSES, a recording of the benefits for fulfilling the conditions, and the penalties for failing to meet the conditions of the covenant.
1. Genesis 17:1-14, God's covenant with Abram
Blessings: Father of nations, multiply you, kings from you
Curses: cut off from his people
2. God's covenant with Israel
Exodus 19:3-8, the preamble: the parties involved and their history
Exodus 20-23, the stipulations
Deuteronomy 6:1-3, the blessings of the covenant
It will be well with you, and you are multiplied in the land
Deuteronomy 6:13-15, the curse of breaking the covenant
God will wipe you off the face of the earth
Deuteronomy 7:6-11, the blessing and the curse repeated
Deuteronomy 11:26-28, "See, I am setting before y
|Click here to host your
own church web site today!